Friday, April 10, 2009

Style Icon - Chloe Sevigny


My husband loves to come home from Ralphs and ask me to close my eyes and hold out my hands. This is where I roll my eyes, grin, and happily accept my guilty pleasure, usually a celebrity rag mag. But this time, it was the latest issue of C Magazine. Boy, does Chloe Sevigny rock the cover! Chloe has always been sort of an underground fashion icon with her quirky avant-garde style, but with the success of Big Love, her stardom has come mainstream and her fashion wit is ever brilliant.

It's not just being swathed in a gorgeous Rodarte gown, but her sultry pose puts her one-up on any fashion model (Okay, can I ask? Did Rodarte get a free ad in C magazine for dressing Chloe for the cover or did they just win the lottery?) And in the pages of the mag, the true New Yorker shines and struts her stuff in all kinds of ruched, draped, zipped, and fringed black clothing. Stellar.

It's sort of great to see her all glammed up when I'm so used to seeing her in her Amish-wares every Sunday night on Big Love. Although her character's wardrobe is bland and prudish, her manipulative, calculating persona on the show is not. But that's what I love about her character. The clothes are a front and underneath all that Laura Ingalls, she's all sass.

In real life, Ms. Sevigny from as early as '95 has been her own trend-setter, sort of under the radar, but totally in tune to what's cool. As C says, she has that natural "too cool for school" look, but underneath all that style is a genuine, approachable woman, an "it" girl without the attitude. How refreshing!

I'm bummed my Sunday night hour of Big Love is now on hiatus and I have to DVR the reruns. But what a treat to see a familiar face on the cover of C - Chloe, my new favorite style icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment